Friday, May 22, 2009

Keep your religion to yourself.

I like to think I'm pretty informed when it comes to religion.
At least enough to feel the way I feel about it.

I'm not overly religious. But I do believe in God. Proof or no proof, She's out there.
But I recently read something that described my feelings towards God completely, which was shocking to me because I've never been able to explain it quite like this;

"Having faith requires leaps of faith, cerebral exceptance of miracles-immaculate conceptions and divine interventions. And then there are the codes of conduct. The Bible, the Koran, Buddhist scripture...they all carry similar requirements- and similar penalties. They claim that if I don't live by a specific code I will go to hell. I can't imagine a God that would rule that way."

That sums up my faith.
I believe that if I live my life the best way that I could and tried to be the best person I could be, that God will know that. God will know in my heart that I tried. I don't think She's going to judge me based on the fact that I had to get a divorce because there was nothing left, or because I was unable to go to church everyday of my life, or because I cursed too much, or because I decided to live with someone before I got married ect...The God I believe in is not judgemental. The God I believe in loves me and apprecitates how hard I've worked, and appreciates how hard I'm trying to be a better person. She's not going to send me to hell because I wore jeans, support gay rights, or am in fact a lesbian. That's not my God.

Maybe it's the way I was raised.
I remember mom telling me
"You be the best person you can be and God will know that."
And I believe that.

"My mind tells me I will never understand God
And my heart tell me I am not meant to."

Oh, i believe in God...Just maybe not your God.



"Religion is like language or dress. We gravitate toward the practices with which we were raised. In the end. though, we are all proclaiming the same thing. That life has meaning. That we are grateful for the power that created us."


*drops mic*


[Quotes taken from 'Angels & Demons' by Dan Brown]

No comments:

Post a Comment