Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Art. Part Deux.

Salvador Dali


His genuis is magnificent. It's hard to put words to the feelings I get when I look at his art work.
You can dream something and never remember it. Or you'd remember and be unable to fully grasp what it was you dreamed about. Dali had a way of taking his dreams, as bizzarr as they may have been, and making them art. Now, not all of his art is from his dreams but many of the pieces I admire most are.
Looking at his pieces summon a sort of wonder and awe. You can always look and see something different, or catch it from a different angle and feel like you're looking at a whole new piece of work.


'Swans reflecting Elephants' (1936)

This is definitely one of my favorite pieces by him. I remember first stumbling across it, quite unintentionally, and feeling confused at first because I didn't see a meaning behind it. And until recently, I was naieve enough to view all art as having some sort of meaning behind it and that if you didn't know it, it made no sense. And now as I've become more into art, I've realized that what the art means to you is what matters. What you take from it, how you view it, how it makes you feel..that is what matters. That to me, is what art signifies. The feelings in which it draws from the person.... So, I sat their staring at the picture and as soon as I saw the first elephant on the right I was stunned. I was in absolute awe of how he painted it. I remember feeling completely amazed. I smiled. And felt at ease. I must have stared at it for a good 30 minutes. Of course afterwards i googled 'Dali, Elephants, Swans' and came back with the above title. Searched above and beyond for it, and as little as 24 hours, it will be hanging on my livingroom wall =)


The next paintings [on right] I absolutely LOVE. 'Woman with a head of roses' is extremely intriguing to me. There's something about they way he painted her body and the way in which the cloth clings to it in such a flowing manner. The head of roses symoblizing the insignifigance, yet beauty of her face... The man behind her..wether or not a ghost, wether or not someone following her, or someone she passed by, I wonder about constantly.


I actually forgot the name of the one on the left. And yes, I could google it right now but that would be too easy.




























Lincoln in Dalivision


This picture is actually another one that I am purchasing.

"The Archeological Reminisence of Millet Angelus"

Something about this stirs death within me. It seems as if the two figures are in mourning. As if sadness has overtaken them. The somberness in this picture draws me to it.

I really don't have a reason as to why I am so encaptured by Art lately. I just am. And feeling the emotion I feel when I see a certain piece of art is what I have seemingly been yearning for.

*drops mic*

2 comments:

  1. The way you describe how you feel when you see art is how I feel when I listen to a song I love. My heart hurts and I can't truly describe how I feel about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like this, thow for some reason this Pic makes me think like the one on the left to me looks like thinking then the one on the right looks like action

    ReplyDelete